At TFS, we are committed to providing a rigorous, academic, knowledge-based curriculum, with a core focus on ensuring excellent provision in EBACC subjects. This will empower all of our scholars to gain success in any field and will play an instrumental role in closing the gap for disadvantaged scholars.
In order to ensure that all scholars are able to achieve and succeed, we will put reading at the heart of our curriculum. We will make sure that every scholar is reading at or above their chronological age as soon as possible after they join TFS, as we know that a scholar’s ability to read will have a significant impact on how rapidly they are able to gain knowledge and make progress across the curriculum.
At TFS, our curriculum will:
- Promote reading as a fundamental skill for education and life success
- Provide a broad and balanced education for all scholars, with a key focus on the EBACC subjects
- Enable scholars to develop powerful knowledge, understand concepts and acquire skills, and be able to apply these in relevant situations
- Promote a positive and proactive attitude towards learning
- Develop in scholars consistent learning habits of preparation and hard work, taking a care to equip them for further education and employment
- Ensure equal access to learning, with high expectations for every scholar and appropriate levels of challenge and support
- Support scholars’ Cultural Capital
- Support scholars’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- Support scholars’ physical development and responsibility for their own health, and enable them to be active
Year 1 Curriculum Plan 2018-2019
More details around the curriculum for each subject will be posted during the Summer holidays.
|SUBJECT||SESSIONS PER WEEK||OTHER INFORMATION|
|English (Language and Literature)||5||50 minute sessions|
|Mathematics||5||50 minute sessions|
|Science||4||50 minute sessions
These will be taught as separate Biology, Chemistry and Physics units
|French||4||50 minute sessions|
|History||3||50 minute sessions|
|Geography||3||50 minute sessions|
|RE/PSHE||1||50 minute sessions|
|PE||2||50 minute sessions|
|Music||1||50 minute sessions|
|Cultural Capital||2||50 minute sessions
These sessions will cover a range of subjects, including Art History, Drama, Classics, outside speakers etc…
|DEAR (Drop Everything and Read) / Oracy||5||30 minute sessions|
|Morning Meetings||5||30 minute sessions|
|Art, Engineering and Computer Science Drop Down Days||These will run as whole day sessions at least once every half-term. They will be designed and delivered by external experts, as part of a structured curriculum offer.|
More detailed curriculum information will be published in September. If you would like further details about the curriculum please contact [email protected].