Turner Free School Vision:
At TFS, our mission is to create scholars. Our scholars will obtain the education and social skills they need to be successful at university, in professional employment and in their home lives.
We are a school with the highest expectations for achievement and conduct. Working as a team, we aim to create a calm and purposeful environment for our community in which all are welcome and able to learn. We also aim to deliver exceptional teaching and learning in order to ensure that all scholars, regardless of their starting point, have access to a Powerful Education and Success Without Selection.
To help achieve this we will:
- deliver a knowledge-led curriculum, organised along the principles established by Professors Michael Young of the IOE and E.D. Hirsch jnr. of the University of Virginia, to ensure all pupils receive the knowledge they need to thrive in the modern world.
- put reading at the heart of our curriculum. We will make sure that every scholar is reading at or above their chronological age as soon as possible after they join TFS, as we know that a scholar’s ability to read will have a significant impact on how rapidly they are able to gain knowledge and make progress across the curriculum.
- offer EBACC for all : the subject knowledge and skills that must be mastered to achieve this academic measure is a right for all pupils and will enable them to have the full range of options available to them for post-16 and post-18 study.
- encourage our pupils to aspire towards university or professional employment : our working relationships with universities and partnerships with major local employers will ensure that our students are best equipped for their next steps after leaving school.
- ensure every child learns French : language skills will enable better social cohesion in the immediate area; meet the needs of local employers and secure the often missing – link in EBacc achievement.
- Develop citizens : TFS students will be young people that the community can be proud of and who want to make Folkestone an even better, fairer place to live; we will actively teach tolerance, respect, courtesy, service and the rewards of hard – work.